Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Deadlocking

I'm looking for any tuning information that you may have
on deadlocking.
I have an APP(not written by me) that I support and it is
generating deadlocks at some of customer sites. In one
case the client is seeing upwards of 40 deadlocks in a
day. Now I know the app needs to be dealt with, but that
is a long process as we have about 100 clients live and
are working on upgrades and patches. What I want to know
is, is there anything on the server side I can do to
mitigate the deadlocks? Can I allow the operation to re-
try more and thus hope one of the processes completes
before killing a process is needed? Basically, does
anyone have any thoughts? Could I pad rows in the table
to cause one row per page, thus hopefully a page lock is
actually a row lock and thus causing fewer deadlocks, if
they are table based most often?
I'm a bit desperate.
Thanks.Matt
Here are a couple of articles that might help
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-
US;224453
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-
US;271509
Regards
John

No comments:

Post a Comment