Wednesday, March 7, 2012

DCOM Error, Event ID 10016, DTS Server

Hi all,
I have a new SQL Server 2005 Standard SP2 install with just database
services and workstation components installed.
I've noticed the following system event error that appears twice each
time a maintenance task runs (the maintenance tasks do run
successfully):
Event Type: Error
Event Source: DCOM
Event Category: None
Event ID: 10016
Date: 20/12/2007
Time: 11:00:00
User: [domain sql agent account]
Computer: [server name]
Description:
The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch
permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{SID}
to the user [domain sql agent account] SID (SID). This security
permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative
tool.
For more information, see Help and Support Center at
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
--
I've matched the CLSID given in the error to an entry an entry in the
registry that identifies Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Server.DtsServer. In
Component Services, there's a MsDtsServer listed under DCOM config.
Giving the domain sql agent account Local Launch access to this sorts
the error.
I'm a bit confused about this and am tempted to rebuild the server,
but would obviously like to avoid that if possible. I don't have SSIS
installed, so I don't understand why DTS is being used. I'd rather not
have an unnecessary service running, but I also don't want errors
showing up in the event log.
Any idea why this is happening? Does DTS need to be running even
though SSIS isn't installed? Any insight/suggestions are appreciated.
Regards.Hi
Have you checked out http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931355/en-us
John
"RJGiskard" wrote:

> Hi all,
> I have a new SQL Server 2005 Standard SP2 install with just database
> services and workstation components installed.
> I've noticed the following system event error that appears twice each
> time a maintenance task runs (the maintenance tasks do run
> successfully):
> --
> Event Type: Error
> Event Source: DCOM
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 10016
> Date: 20/12/2007
> Time: 11:00:00
> User: [domain sql agent account]
> Computer: [server name]
> Description:
> The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch
> permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
> {SID}
> to the user [domain sql agent account] SID (SID). This security
> permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative
> tool.
> For more information, see Help and Support Center at
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
> --
> I've matched the CLSID given in the error to an entry an entry in the
> registry that identifies Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Server.DtsServer. In
> Component Services, there's a MsDtsServer listed under DCOM config.
> Giving the domain sql agent account Local Launch access to this sorts
> the error.
> I'm a bit confused about this and am tempted to rebuild the server,
> but would obviously like to avoid that if possible. I don't have SSIS
> installed, so I don't understand why DTS is being used. I'd rather not
> have an unnecessary service running, but I also don't want errors
> showing up in the event log.
> Any idea why this is happening? Does DTS need to be running even
> though SSIS isn't installed? Any insight/suggestions are appreciated.
> Regards.
>|||On 20 Dec, 16:41, John Bell <jbellnewspo...@.hotmail.com> wrote:
> Have you checked outhttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/931355/en-us
No, hadn't found that one. We are running SP2 on the W2K3 server, but
I gave that a go. I reveresed the changes I made earlier, tried the
changes suggested, but still get the error.
So is DTS required even though I don't have SSIS isn't installed? I
thought SSIS was the SQL Server 2005 replacement for DTS and that this
DTS Server was just a legacy naming thing but that it's actually SSIS.|||Hi
DTS is still the name behind the scenes.
I think Maintenance plans will use SSIS components, you could replace them
with the T-SQL scripts that do the equivalent tasks if you are using
Maintenance tasks.
John
"RJGiskard" wrote:

> On 20 Dec, 16:41, John Bell <jbellnewspo...@.hotmail.com> wrote:
> No, hadn't found that one. We are running SP2 on the W2K3 server, but
> I gave that a go. I reveresed the changes I made earlier, tried the
> changes suggested, but still get the error.
> So is DTS required even though I don't have SSIS isn't installed? I
> thought SSIS was the SQL Server 2005 replacement for DTS and that this
> DTS Server was just a legacy naming thing but that it's actually SSIS.
>

No comments:

Post a Comment